"The wealthy class is becoming more wealthy; but the poorer class is becoming|
more dependent. The gulf between the employed and the employer is growing
wider; social contrasts are becoming sharper; as liveried carriages appear, so
do barefooted children."
|WHAT 'S MY LINE?|
|PRIMARY SOURCES / DOCUMENTS|
|1. Account for the interrelated themes of industrialization, urbanization, and|
immigration during the immediate decades after the Civil War.
2. In what ways did the Industrial Age affect the big cities? Overall, were the effects
positive or negative?
3. Explain the expansion of the railroad industry and discuss the impact of the industry
on the American economy, perceptions of time and space, technology, and business
4. "The attempt of the federal government to regulate the railroad industry simply
resulted in the substitution of new evils for old ones." Assess the validity of this
5. Explain and evaluate the ideologies of Social Darwinism, The Gospel of Wealth, and
laissez faire capitalism. Discuss the impact of these concepts on the labor force and
the role of government in society.
6. Select any two of the following individuals and give an account of their philosophies
and contributions to the Industrial AgeHoratio Alger; Andrew Carnegie; Henry
George; Samuel Gompers; William Graham Sumner; Thorstein Veblen.
|REWIND & FAST FORWARD|